Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Innovation, thy name is Apple


Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard

This "news story" does a good job of how I feel about some recent innovations in computers and software. Being an Apple guy from way back, I'm expecting them to do weird inexplicable stuff all the time. For instance, I had an old keyboard that was starting to get kind of cruddy, so I picked up Apple's new "flat" keyboard that mimics the new format of their laptop keyboard. The good news is, typing (or "keyboarding" as the kids call it these days) is a breeze, and it feels nice and solid and is quieter than a regular keyboard. The bad news is, they decided to rearrange the function keys and those dedicated "bonus" keys that control the computer volume, eject discs, launch things, control iTunes, etc. So now, I have to choose one or the other. It doesn't have any fewer keys than my old one or take less space, but I guess the idea was to try to mimic a laptop keyboard. As a result, I have to change the system preference each time I switch from photo editing (where I use F-keys all the time) to regular tasks like web surfing and e-mail and stuff. I could go back to the crummy old one, or buy another in the same style as the crummy old one, but I already bought this one and like some things about it. I know... bitch bitch bitch.

On the bright side, here's Waternight from my semi-recent Chicago trip... more to come from that trip soon.

0 comments: